First post. I hope someone can help me. Recently, I ran into a problem with my X axis binding on the left side. Spent all day with Axiom on FB messenger trying to figure out the problem. Lubed it, loosened ball nut and stepper motors and changed all kind of settings as instructed my the guys at Axiom. It freed it up but chased the problem into the Z. Soon after, when I would do a touch off, it would raise a little bit and make a horrible sound but I was able to raise it to 85 manually. After sitting for two weeks while I was out of town, it won't even do that anymore. It lowers and stops and will not even raise manually anymore. It is so low now that I had to pull the spindle to get the bit out. I'm dead in the water and hope that someone has run into this situation before and can help me out. I've loosed the stepper motor and ball nut on the Z axis to ensure that there is no way to bind but get the same thing.
Went to Rockler and got the settings off of their machine and installed them onto mine. No luck there either.
Steve, Yes, I pulled the stepper motor off and was able to turn it with my fingers. As soon as I put the motor back on, same deal. I sent a video to Axioim. I've got to get this thing back up and running. Very frustrating.
I was having a problem with my X axis and wound up taking the side cover of the gantry off and found the plug for the stepper was loose. Once I plugged it back in, everything worked fine. The reason I mention it is when the plug was loose, I could only move my X one way. Just check the connection on the z axis stepper.
I think I've got it Steve. I think the upper bracket had shifted slightly and was binding up there. I took the whole head assembly apart to lube the thrust bearings. Didn't need any but put a little bit in anyway. Put it all back together and appears to work fine. Even sounds different. Thanks for weighing in.