Post by traindriver on May 12, 2016 21:57:15 GMT -5
That is cool. I've only done two inlay jobs with my machine, but I couldn't believe how good it turned out. Neither had the detail of yours, though. How did you keep the small details on the fish from breaking off?
I'll get some pics posted on the tool paths but basically I used the same settings as the previous inlays I've posted. I cut the male (mirrored from the female vectors) at 0.15 flat depth and the female at a .25 flat depth (You can adjust the machining depths according to your stock I have done the same with .1 and .15 ). Then when I'm at the machine after I zero the z I lower the z axis by 1.000and rezero it. This allows it to cut deep enough for the inlay to fit. I'll then fill it with glue and clamp it overnight. I'll post a screen shot later tonight or tomorrow. I use a 60 degree 1/4 inch whiteside vee bit for my inlays. To keep the small pieces from breaking I don't cut all the way through the male board this also allows me to clamp it easier. To accomplish that step I draw a rectangle around the vectors and when I select the vectors to vcarve I also select the rectangle this will cave out the space between the rectangle and the vectors. I hope this helps!