I just tried to cut 36 little wheels out of a cutting board and the tool path preview looked just like I wanted it to. Well, see for yourself what the result looks like.... The area I highlighted in red obviously didn't o so well....
Anyone have an idea on what/how I need to troubleshoot?
Lots of good suggestions, thank you. Hope to get to it tonight. As suggested, I will certainly try to run it again at a slower rate.
- I did not watch the entire time. - It was held down with double sided tape. Had to pull pretty hard to get it off. So I am reasonably sure the board did not move during cutting. - Don't see any mechanical obstructions that would prevent the router from moving freely in that top right area. - I do have dust hose connected. It is connected to a metal (grounded) ducting. However, the hose itself is probably not conductive so I could look into that.
Post by traindriver on Jan 30, 2018 20:02:00 GMT -5
I would be willing to bet at least a quarter that when you send it back to the origin, you find that one axis isn't quite at the right place. The coordinates will show zero for X & Y, but it physically won't be located in the right place. I experienced something very similar early on with my router while cutting circular tool paths. Cutting circles is very demanding for the CNC and what was happening in my case is that my feed rate in the tool database was too high, and when the machine tried to cut that fast, the axis "slipped", resulting in something similar to what's in your picture. A call to Axiom set me straight after I spent a weekend creating scrap while trying to figure out what was going on. Each axis has a clutch on it, so if the ball screw can't keep up for some reason (dull cutter, dense material, too heavy a cut because the bit is slipping in the collet) the motor will turn, but the ball screw won't. In conclusion, as suggested above, reduce the feed rate of your tool in the tool database and likely your problem will go away.