Post by dustypilot on May 25, 2020 19:10:19 GMT -5
I have been using my AR8 Pro5 for about a month and really like it. It's faster than the old one, provides better repeatability and is built like a tank. However, for all the thought that went into the design of this machine, I really think they cheaped out on the sides:The plastic sides just don't do it when compared to the Candy Apple Red logo on the front or the hold down clamps they sell. As I was wiring in the laser attachment I kept thinking I can do better... So I took a stab at just cutting out a template in 1/4" plywood, sanding and sealing, putting on a chrome undercoat and and a ruby red finish. They look ok but are kind of plain:
Yesterday, my single-flute aluminum bit arrived. I checked out the scrap recycler in town and found some 1/8" aluminum stock that I thought I would give try. I slowed down to 50 ipm, cut depth to no more than 0.04" at a time and added my favorite logo. Once cut, I had a little of that ruby paint left in the rattle can, so sprayed that in, then sanded down to 800 grit (finest I had on hand). Now That's better:
Both sides now have a much better (IMHO) look.
Happy Memorial Day All. Thank you vets!
Last Edit: May 25, 2020 19:11:07 GMT -5 by dustypilot
Sorry bbowers12 for the slow response. Attached is an Illustrator file that can import into VCarve. I actually cut mine on my laser but should CNC just fine. Please let me know if you need a different format!